Free or Reduced Cost Internet Service Options
Galena Park I.S.D. understands the importance of internet connectivity for our students and community. We also know the cost of service can be prohibitive. So, we compiled a list of resources from major local service providers to assist our community with some cost-friendly alternatives.
- Sixty (60) days of free Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
- For new customers, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com (website includes written, and video chat customer service options) or by calling 1-855-846-8376 (English) or 1-855-765-6995 (Spanish).
- Sixty (60) days of free broadband and WI-FI access for households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription.
- No installation fees for new households.
- Enroll by calling 1-844-488-8395.
- Two (2) free months of Free Home Internet Service, including free installation for those who are not currently Consolidated customers. Take advantage of this offer in two easy steps:
- Call Consolidated Communications: 1-855-399-3084
- Mention offer code: "Two Months Free"
- If you have at least one child receiving free or reduced price school lunches, your family may qualify for an affordable home internet service through AT&T. For more information, visit Access from AT&T.
FCC Keep Americans Connected Pledge:
On March 12, 2020, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) launched the "Keep Americans Connected Pledge." Ajit Pai, FCC Chairman, released a press release emphasizing the importance of keepting American connected as the country experiences serious disruptions caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Most service providers pledged for the next sixty (60) days to:
- not terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due to the disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic;
- waive any late fees that any residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic; and
- open Wi-Fi hotspots to any American who needs them.
- Several major service providers have already taken the pledge. Please check with your service provider for their policies and services.
Resources for Computers
Comp-U-Dopt Computer Distribution
The mission at Comp-U-Dopt is to provide technology to students who need it most. Comp-U-Dopt is offering computers to families at home free-of-charge. Approximately 50 computers and tickets will be available per day. Tickets will be released each day at noon the day before. Please follow this link to register.