GPISD Employee Re-Entry Plan
Dear Galena Park I.S.D. Team,
While we are finalizing the 2020-2021 school year plan of what school will look like for our students, we are moving forward with our staff re-entry plan.
Effective today, Wednesday, July 22nd, all Galena Park I.S.D. employees are expected to perform their duties in accordance with their individual calendars as approved by their current supervisor for the 2020-2021 school year. Employees continue to be encouraged to work remotely when possible and will be contacted by their immediate supervisor, if necessary, regarding reporting to on-site work.
As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 Pandemic, there have been many discussions to make the return to buildings as safe as possible. Our number one priority is the general health and safety of our students and staff. All of the precautions to protect our staff to the best of our ability from all communicable diseases include recommendations by the state and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) based on what is currently known about the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The re-entry plan for staff that we are sharing is not final. Instead, the plan is based on the current information and guidelines provided by local, state, and national entities like the Texas Education Agency and the Centers for Disease and Control. We continue to monitor and must remain flexible.
In Galena Park I.S.D., our employees will return in four phases. Our phased approach allows for an organized plan to ensure staff can return safely to their work environment. Employees will hear from their department about how and when they are expected to return to their worksites permanently.
You will note that we are currently still working under Phase 1 with restrictions. The district will implement Phases 2-4 pending CDC and state guidelines at the specified dates.
Please be aware that staff may be required to report back to on-site locations before the stated schedule based on district needs. The schedule may change based on health protocols. As mentioned above, our decisions will be based on conditions rather than dates.
Galena Park I.S.D. Return to Work Plan
- Phase 1: March 16, 2020 – July 21, 2020, *as of 7/22/2020
- Controlled access of all campuses and buildings for employees only
- District and campus staff on campus on an as-needed basis
- District and campus administrators return on a staggered schedule
- Galena Park I.S.D. high school UIL participants will begin on-campus practices on July 13th *as of 7/22/2020
- Phase 2: July 22, 2020 – August 14, 2020, *as of 7/22/2020
- Galena Park I.S.D. Employees will perform their duties in accordance with their individual calendars as approved by their current supervisor for the 20-21 school year.
- Employees continue to be encouraged to work remotely when possible and will be contacted by their immediate supervisor, if necessary, regarding reporting to on-site work.
- Contract and on duty non-exempt employees on campuses and buildings (approved schedule managed by supervisor)
- Phase 3: August 17, 2020, *as of 7/22/2020
- District reopens to the public following CDC guidelines
- The District will operate at 100% pending CDC and state guidelines
- August 26 - Teachers report to their assigned campus
- Teacher academies and all other virtual staff development will take place as scheduled.
- Phase 4: September 8 (ECHS & Dual Credit classes will resume on August 24)
- School in session
**Each department/campus plan will accommodate the needs of the department/campus.
Again, your safety at work is our highest priority, and we will continue to monitor the situation and respond accordingly. Depending on the circumstance, the district or your direct supervisor will communicate any changes with you.
District Protocols for Return to On-Site Work
District administration will ensure the following precautions are taken at all facilities:
- Ensure staff members have access to personal protective safety equipment (PPE) as necessary.
- Ensure staff members are trained in appropriate protocols.
- Ensure employee protocols for return to work are respected and enforced.
- Ensure proper cleaning and disinfecting of workspaces and highly trafficked areas (e.g., bathrooms, cafeterias, teacher lounge rooms).
- Ensure appropriate workplace posters outlining proper protocols are prominently displayed.
- Ensure visitors are limited to conducting essential business that is not able to be done remotely.
Employee Protocols for Return to On-Site Work
Employees are to ensure adherence to the following guidelines to protect themselves and others at work:
- Perform a self-screening for symptoms before reporting to work and entering all buildings.
- Any employee who is not feeling well or has been potentially exposed, has a fever of 100.0 Fahrenheit or higher, feel feverish, or has other symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, loss of taste or smell) SHOULD NOT report to any district worksite or enter any Galena Park I.S.D. facility; and should contact their healthcare provider. Contact your supervisor and call the District Hotline at 832-386-1090.
- Before reporting to work, any employee who answers “Yes” to any of the following “daily health check” questions MUST NOT report to work or access any district building including campuses and contact your supervisor.:
- Have you had recent contact with someone who was diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Did you recently visit a state where COVID-19 has a widespread transmission crisis?
- Do you have a fever, or have you felt hot or feverish in the last two days?
- Do you have a cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, muscle aches, body aches, headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?
- DO NOT report to work, if the response to any of the above questions is “Yes.”
- DO NOT report to work or enter any GPISD facility if you are feeling well but live in the same household as someone who has received a positive COVID-19 result.
- Anyone under quarantine or self-quarantine directed by a local health authority SHOULD NOT report to their worksite or enter any Galena Park I.S.D. facility.
- Wear a mask (cloth or disposable) and other necessary PPE specific to their position or work; this includes while employees are in hallways and other common or shared workspaces. Gloves should be worn when appropriate.
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet apart) when possible, per CDC guidelines, when in a district facility.
- Wash hands often, for 20 seconds or more, or utilize hand sanitizer (60-95% alcohol) if soap and water are not available. The district has created hand sanitizing stations at each of the district’s administrative facilities. Soap is also available in all bathrooms.
- Avoid gathering in staff lounges/break rooms; employees may access the refrigerator and microwave but not stay or gather to eat.
- Avoid personal contact, closed-in spaces, and only have in-person meetings when required. (for your safety and the safety of others)
- During in-person meetings follow all CDC guidelines. (for your safety and the safety of others)
Please know how much we appreciate your patience, flexibility, and resilience, as this situation has evolved since early March. We are incredibly proud of how our community has come together and is working to keep our students learning and the school district running during this uncertain time. We look forward to seeing you and the day when we can all be together again.
Thank you for all you do. We wish you and your family good health.
***This plan is subject to change based on guidance from the Texas Education Agency, local/state officials, and/or the Centers for Disease Control.***
Page updated: 7/22/2020
- Phase 1: March 16, 2020 – July 21, 2020, *as of 7/22/2020