Dress Code Regulations Students within the Galena Park Independent School District will adhere to dress code policies. A Standardized Dress Code policy has been adopted by each elementary and middle school campus, with the consent of the Site-Based Committee. Traditional dress code will continue for all high school campuses. The principal of the school shall have the discretion to determine if a student’s attire, hair, and/or grooming is acceptable and does not cause a distraction within appropriate health and safety standards. Principals have the authority to modify the attire for special occasion days and events. Each student will display appropriate grooming and dress for the educational environment. Attire or hair styles which are deemed to be a distraction or disturbance to learning are prohibited. Students who violate the dress code will be subject to disciplinary action. Students assigned to Center for Success (CFS) will be required to wear navy blue, khaki or black slacks and a shirt issued by CFS.
Unacceptable Hair and Grooming Unacceptable hair and/or grooming examples: facial hair (beards, mustaches), gang related, profane, vulgar language or gang symbols cut into hair, or tattooed or cut into the skin. Each campus, 6th through 12th grade, will determine how to address a student’s violation of the grooming code, in regard to facial hair. This campus decision will be communicated in writing to the parent of every school, with the students in grades 6th through 12th prior to the beginning of the school year. Student clubs, organizations, and extracurricular activities such as athletics, drill team, etc. may have their own policy about colored hair for their program.
High School Dress Code For Girls: Neat, clean, well-fitting clothing: Dresses/skirts (mid-thigh or longer), mid-thigh shorts, or pants with tops and shoes.
For Boys: Neat, clean, well-fitting clothing: Pants or mid-thigh shorts with tops and shoes Hair out of eyes Rules for High School
• Students must wear their Student ID Badge visible around their neck at all times
• Shirts must not be oversized and must be tucked in
• Shirts must not be low cut or tight
• Pants must fit at the waist or a student must wear a belt. There will be no sagging. Students whose pants are sagging will have their pants cinched with a zip tie.
• Pants may not have any holes exposing skin above the knee
• No leather or pleather pants, skirts, dresses, or shorts
• No clothes with reference to alcohol, sex, vulgar language, gang symbols, or shapes
• No visible tattoos with reference to alcohol, sex, vulgar language, or gang symbols, affiliations or shapes
• All tattoos on neck or face must be covered at all times
• Yoga/spandex pants allowed only with a long shirt that comes below the buttocks
• Hair must be clean and out of the face
• No facial hair
• No symbols or shapes may be cut into the hair
• A student’s attire cannot cause a distraction
• All backpacks or over-sized bags/purses must be see-through (clear or mesh).
• No backless shoes Students should be cautious when selecting shoes for school. High heels can become uncomfortable after an entire day of school.
Tight fitted clothing
Baggy, saggy, or oversized clothing
Shirts with gang symbols, slogans, or colors
Slacks/pants/skirts worn below the waist
Blankets Duster coats/Trench coats
Pierced ring or stud in visible body parts besides ears (e.g. lip, nose, eyebrows, tongue) House shoes/slippers Shoes with wheels Gauges in ears
Additional Information can be found in the student handbook on page 1- 2 Student Handbook