Galena Park ISD Elementary Science Department has teamed up with The ConocoPhillips Rice Elementary Model STEM Lab (REMSL) to prepare teachers for the future of STEM in the classroom.
The afterschool program is designed to:
- Increase student achievement in science and math
- Improve teachers' STEM content
- knowledge as it relates to the nature of science, earth/space science, physical science, life science, and mathematics TEKS;
- Enhance the use of best practices in elementary science and math instruction, including classroom management, quality questioning strategies, and analyzing student work;
- Create STEM leaders that can act as catalysts or agents of change at their campuses; and
- Provide teachers with TEKS-aligned STEM materials.
The REMSL PM program is designed to provide teachers with intensive training and coaching and meets in the evening. In the REMSL PM program, teachers participate in a week-long summer orientation followed by approximately 20 weekly evening meetings from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. throughout the school year.
The program targets science, science and mathematics, and self-contained teachers who have the potential to become STEM leaders on their campuses. All 3rd-5th grade, multi-grade science lab teachers, and coaches/specialists are encouraged to register. Kindergarten-2nd grade teachers are welcome to register, but may receive lower priority based on the pool of registrants.
- Over 100 hours of sustained and supported professional development
- 3 hours of Rice graduate credit (available upon special application plus a $150 registration fee)
- $400 stipend upon program completion
- $600 in STEM materials for your campus**
- Individualized campus support
- Opportunities for field experiences and attending lectures at Rice University